Business signs are one of, if not the most cost effective method of advertising – period. On premise signs are permanent, and that means that they have time on their side. Depending on the store location, traffic on the road and lines of sight, a storefront retail sign can generate thousands of impressions in a short period for one up-front expense.
But that cost effectiveness is dramatically reduced if the signs are not clearly visible due to low light conditions. People won’t see your signage if it isn’t clearly visible or if other signs in the area are brighter and easier to read.
Alternatively, sign lighting can increase clarity even during daylight hours, while at night your lighted sign will stand out even better. Illumination from your signage can also help deter theft by brightening the location around the front of your store.
If you want to get the most out of your business signs, sign lighting is not optional. But, once you decide that lighting is needed, you need to decide on the right lighting for the job. And for that, you need the experts.
The visibility of lighted signs is a function of the size of the sign, the luminescence of the lighting elements, and the distance at which the sign is viewed from its target audience.
- If the sign is too bright that brightness can turn eyes away or drown out the details of the sign and the information it carries.
- If the sign isn’t bright enough it won’t be visible at range, won’t be easily noticed, or won’t transfer the vital information to passing customers effectively.
Moreover, as the ambient light in the vicinity increases, the sign must be illuminated to a greater degree in order to support visibility despite the visual competition. This means that business owners may need to increase brightness over time as their local areas develop.
The type of lighting you use in your sign will determine the look, visibility, and price of the project. The different available options each have their pros and cons. Here are a few options to consider:
- Neon: a classic option with a unique look but high up-front and lifetime price
- LEDs: which are cheaper, brighter, and use minimal energy
- Full Color LED Screens: high investment price, but provide flexibility to display varied messages
- Floodlights: very cheap to install, though externally-lit signs result in less nighttime visibility than internally-lit options
To get started with high performance, high-visibility, well-lit signage for your company, call us at (925) 300-1066. The expert sign makers here at Sequoia Signs & Graphics, Inc. are always happy to answer your questions and are ready to design and build the signage you need for your situation, guaranteed.